Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Frauds and Scams Exposed

Today I am writing on a topic off the path of beauty, but directed to anyone who uses the internet. It pertains to all that do.I truly hope this post reaches many many people out there, whether you are in the hair, beauty or fashion industry...or any other. It does NOT matter who you are or what you do, because this is for all the unsuspecting individuals who are open prey for the crooks trying to pull mail fraud/check fraud scams.

I have been contacted on numerous occasions with all kinds of different letters from people asking for assistance and telling me how I will financially benefit by lending my compassionate help. They usually come in email form from a supposedly foreign country and involve a death, or a terminal illness, or a terrible demise, or some such heart tugging story to play on the potential victim's emotions, tugging at the heart strings, but more so, promising riches.

A couple weeks ago, the 30th of Nov. to be exact, I received a request for my services for a holiday photo shoot for a publication that started out innocently enough, yet SCREAMED SCAM:

"We are in need of Hairstylists for Xmas and New Year edition of our Magazine,Please get back to me as soon as possible if you are interested,For further information send me an email to "_____________"
Thanks"

( RED FLAG ! First off; improper grammar and spelling alerted me, but most simply this is just not professional, almost to the point of being a joke)

Then the following day I received:

"Hi my name is "________________ " Am freelance agent working for a New Magazine Company,We are recruiting Hairstylists for female first Magazine currently wanting Hairstylists for Xmas and New Year special edition of the magazine.We saw your profile as a Good Hairstylists while surfing the internet, We appreciate it and I would you to help me to some works.We presently have good offer for you. We want to know if you are interested in Hairstylists work because we need good and professional Hairstylists to help us with our models who will be on the magazine cover the Xmas and New Year edition.Please let us know if you are interested in this Job.You stand a chance of making reasonable $750 from this deal to start,and even a noticeable fame. Let us know if you are interested in my offer and We would give you further details.you could Get back to us asap....

Thanks"

My next RED FLAG question was "aren't you a little late? Christmas publications? You must be talking about 2009!". Obviously a scam. And the list goes on and on, but I'll save you the drama.

Just PLEASE, be careful! Protect yourself and use good common sense. A good scam artist is slick and sly, so don't allow yourself to be taken in. Crooks and criminals don't care who they prey on.

If you think you have been contacted in reference to a scam do your research and reporting to protect yourself, and in consideration of other innocent potential victims.

For further information please refer and report to the following:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre40.shtm

http://www.fraud.org/tips/internet/fakecheck.htm

http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/reporting.php

http://www.ckfraud.org/


There are numerous other organizations where you can find information. Google is a wonderful tool!

Stay Safe, Be Prosperous, and Peace and Happy Holidays!

The Hair Extension Expert